Sunday, March 4, 2012


I somehow ate too much Saturday night, and awoke refreshed but with a stomach that was a little less than solid. Hmmmm. I did my usual coffee/soymilk/Ezekiel bread/almond butter….but only had about half of everything. I took some sparkling mineral water with me for the drive in and that seemed to help a lot.

Streets all around the race were blocked off and there is also a major hospital and armory in the area- crappy parking. We drove around for almost 15 minutes and then I got out at baggage to meet up with my running group and use the facilities in the armory( large, clean and warm! And NO LINE- a first!) It was much chillier than I expected- about 40 but damp air; a lot of us were shivering.

This race is incredibly festive- many bands, a pre-celebration of St Patrick’s day, and a funky neighborhood made for a happy event. I crossed the starting mat about 11 minutes after the first runners started, and WOW within a few blocks the finishers came flying by, all us mere mortals cheered them on as we plodded on.

The course was hilly as hell, and had many children participating. I didn’t really like that at many many points the road was impassable without being completely rude and risking injury, with people walking three abreast and kids zooming in and out like Mazeratis and then suddenly stopping right in front of you. Although my time came up perplexingly slow, I feel like I had a good race. Oh well.

NYRR can manage the hell out of a race, let me just say that. There were sooo many bands on this route (Latin, R&B, bagpipes, marching bands, folk, etc), I loved it! Having Ft Washington Ave closed off, with NYPD and the fantastic volunteers cheering you on is an incredible experience. NYC is stunning and I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to get out of Central Park and see it in this way.

My half marathon training called for 8 miles today, so after I came home and had the rest of my breakfast (Yes, I felt 100% sometime just before the race started) did some laundry, blah blah blah I went out again at about 2 to get some more miles in. I did 6 instead of 5, but probably walked almost a mile of it anyway. I feel pretty good now, lets see if I can walk tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment